Historically, the site of the Dormitio Basilica on Mount Zion has been regarded since time immemorial as Mary's home and place of death and as the traditional site of the early Jerusalem community. The land was handed over by Kaiser Wilhelm II to the German Association of the Holy Land in October 1898 - the foundation stone was laid in October 1900. The statue of Mary in the crypt represents Mary's deathbed, where the apostles gathered on their return from their missionary journeys in the Holy City. To this day, pilgrims from all over the world come to the church to entrust their worries and needs to Mary. On the one hand, the redesign of the lighting makes reference to historical elements - such as the light bowls on the oil lamps of earlier times and the activation of the oculi through indirect light elements; on the other hand, the lighting is realised through very small-format spotlight elements - such as for the illumination of the side altars or through integration into components such as the handrails.
In cooperation with:
client: Deutscher Verein vom Heiligen Land
architect: Martin Struck, Erzdiözesanbaumeister
Stabsstelle Erzdiözesanbaumeister Erzbistum Köln Generalvikariat
photos: Martin Struck, Erzdiözesanbaumeister